Saturday, June 4, 2011

Serendipity Cafe New York City

Well, after knowing about it for years and passing by it many times since taking Martha Graham classes nearby beginning in 2007, I went to Serendipity. Oprah did a special on it years ago in which she had hot cocoa. It was an enjoyable late Spring day, not too hot, and I had a hot cocoa craving. So in I went.

The place was a crowded, loud tourist trap with too many Tiffany lamps. The tables were overcrowded. The service was not too good. The waiters seemed not too happy to be there and the two hosts, or host and head male waiter, seemed peeved and stressed. It was apparent some waiters were there for the check so they can go act later. But I've seen worse service.

The hot cocoa was better than a cart or diner cup, but not that much. Perhaps after blending I think it is 14 cocoas, you don't get the rich taste of any one of them. I used my long spoon at the end to pick some unmelted chocolate off the bottom of the cup, and it had a bittersweet cocoa taste. It was good, but I would not go back again unless I wanted to taste something else from the menu or felt like going to that particular spot with friends. The whipped cream was a step or two above supermarket whipped cream. I felt like having a knife to cut it, although it was not too thick. I wonder if chefs do that. There may have been a little too much cream, which overpowered the cocoa. I separated it at first. The chocolate shavings on it could have been thicker.

Not great but not terrible: I'll give it a 2 out of 5 in my new entertainment scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment