Saturday, June 25, 2011

Mappamundo

After passing by Mappamundo on Ninth Avenue in New York City many times this past year to and from acting class, I went in today. The room is cozy with many little globes and old maps on the wall. I wondered about the explorers having an inner confidence and light that their travels, with perils and high costs, would lead to their landing and discoveries. I had wheat pasta for the first time. It was not too al dente, as I had ordered. The artichoke, and broccoli that I had chosen to be added, tasted great, but I could not really taste the other vegetables. I wondered in Greece and Italy, where they would most likely be from a nearby garden if they would taste different. When I was little, my Mom managed to make tasty artichoke and peas in tomato sauce from grocery-bought ingredients.
I was not too hungry, and so surprised myself by ordering dessert. I am glad I did. The crème brulee was great. It was too cool inside at first and I asked them to warm it up. I could really taste the cream and eggs. The espresso was good but too little.
The service was not so good at first; the waitress seemed annoyed at my wanting to know about the different dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment