Saturday, July 20, 2013

Horse Whisperer

I have been full of questions since I was a child. Even though I have science degrees and some would say I am well-read, I sometimes wonder about questions like: "Why do we have eyebrows, eyelashes, and hair in our nose? Why are most people's hair brown? What if leaves were blue?" Although I know or can find the scientific explanations, or get into aesthetically appreciating what is, I still ask these questions. I wonder if I am cuckoo. Most tell me that I am curious and creative. Other questions include: "What is the nature of moving through space?" I guess Einstein asked something similar. Years ago I wondered how we came upon language and writing and if they will be replaced by higher forms of communication, such as telepathy, which many people experience at times.

In the July 2013 issue of O Magazine, I read about Koelle Simpson who is very adept at communicating with horses, a horse whisperer if you will, and who provides therapy for all kinds of people. Here you have it, a horse telepathically communicating with humans, leading them to feel better. People go to Koelle and her horses to heal from anxiety, abuse, negative relationship and career patterns. Horses are preyed upon and feel anxiety and fear when alone, like women, according to Martha Beck, author of the article. She wrote that human and horse psychology are similar: "Throughout history, horses have been whipped, hobbled, dragged, and otherwise tortured until they go numb to their instincts and agree to do whatever humans want. This may sound familiar. How many times have you felt the lash of disapproval, the hobbling of your heart's desires, the torture of others' expectations?" She wrote that horses tell you what they think, and it is usually what other people think of you.

One lady, Avery, who went to see Koelle seemed to have a perfect life: She was a social media director at an apparel company, was married to her high school sweetheart, and had two teenagers. But she lost her temper in a grand way at work, her husband drank, and she feared she could not parent her teenagers. She went to see Koelle and her horse Ernie, which is powerful enough to harm her with a kick. Avery learned to use telepathy to ask for more space or whatever she needed from the horse and learned to trust the horse.When she lost her temper with him, he reacted by running around the pen. She learned to ask for what she needed and to set boundaries effectively with the horse.Avery learned to relax. Koelle told her: "Relax. There's no hurry, and you can't fail. You're just exploring a relationship."

Koelle lets Ernie run:"Running away is his primary defense, and I'm not going to take that form him. I don't want the people I love to come with me because I force them. That's not love; it's control."

Avery stopped fearing she cannot lead at work. She leads, and does not worry who follows. And now people follow because they want to follow. At work, she shows calm authority, not tantrums.She confronted her husband about his drinking without fear or rage, and he admitted his problem.




No comments:

Post a Comment