Thursday, April 7, 2011

Jung and Religious Symbols

I am reading Man and Symbols by Carl Jung. Although I am in agreement with a lot, I am not sure about all of it. For instance, I am not that much into dreams.
One thing Marie-Louise Franz writes in her chapter at around page 248 is that most religions started with a symbol from the collective unconscious. Many of these symbols existed from many years ago. [She claims that] he thinks that religious symbols at first came from the unconscious, not a revelation, which most religious leaders will not second, of course. I am not sure if the Christian cross existed before Jesus Christ. I would not think so.

On page 253, she writes that he does not believe there is a religious truth aside from human consciousness. I don’t think I agree. But I do agree that people need to experience for themselves from medication to mistakes instead of only taking what elders tell them. That would be total “crystallization”, as she says, of their faith.

She does comment brilliantly on a painting showing the Holy Spirit as a spiral, as he says it often is portrayed. Curiously, in this painting, it is portrayed as spiraling into the paper. She interpreted this as meaning that further evolution will lead not to higher or lower ground, but just to a different dimension. Those who experience this in meditation, synchronicities, communicating with one who is not there, and more, know what I mean. That observation or interpretation was brilliant.

She goes on to write about how Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle says we cannot always know the Truth. Many religious leaders will say this is the basis of post-modernism and threatens them. However, most Christians, for instance, think we can’t know God fully. Jung also writes that language cannot explain it all. This would include Holy Books. This is true. As always, I am in the middle, somewhere in that yin/yang “line” that fluctuates in different times or situations. His individuation, which I may understand, if it is what I think I have been doing for years, is a whole from parts such as light and dark and what they symbolize.

No comments:

Post a Comment