Sunday, April 3, 2011

Greek Orthodox Distinctions on the Virgin Mary

On Friday night, after the church service to honor the Virgin Mary before Easter, a theological Ph.D. student and priest gave a lecture about it. The writing needs to be reworked and he missed the major point I knew since a child about her: What is most precious about her is that she was 100% good and humble, what I think no one has or will be in her like again, certainly not me. (It's not my fault; there are just too many idiots everywhere.:)) Now, part of me is a doubting Thomas, but, even if by some slim chance we find out she is not what we all think, was mean at times, etc., it helps to have faith.

In the ways I imagine her, she was all good for everyone all the time. This was affirmed by a senior priest, helping the younger one answer a man who wanted to caution us that she did not co-create with God. Now, I don't know him, but he may be a male chauvinist piglet. In any case, the senior priest said that she was the chosen one to receive God, the most blessed person, above all Saints, and that is why she is exalted. I second that. She was humble, as he said, and completely aligned with the Will of God. he said this was her virginity, not the physical kind. (I think the official policy of the Greek Orthodox Church is that she stayed a virgin throughout her lifetime.) I love this part: We stress who she was a person more than if she was a physical virgin or not, something most people do not know that we do.

The younger priest said we cannot praise her too much, but of course cannot treat her like God. We are to take her as an example. Who follows the Lord's prayer of "Thy Will be done" and forgiving at a high rate? I don't. I love my religion, when it is explored for all it is, and taken in a spiritual and mystical manner it is meant, not fundamentalist.

I was thinking about this more today for a while and let me add: Perhaps she was the co-creator because somewhere in her subconscious (perhaps she was too humble for it to be in her conscious, she held the Possibility of All Possibilities, and did not even need to try. (This kind of thinking is in line with the Law of Attraction, the Secret, being, being a space for and more.) And, as a woman, she miraculously (science cannot explain all of the processes) Co-Created with her blood and body, as mothers do. God could have plopped Jesus Christ on the Earth, descending from the sky, or a wave, but used a woman, who usually have more of a Source or yin energy to them. That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment