Wednesday, February 9, 2011

You Are Who You Are

A member of the Greek Orthodox religion group I attend on most Tuesdays said that Eastern traditions leave out the God as Father and are therapy. I think that other traditions, whether it is Judaism and Islam with the father figure, or Hinduism with a God that has many faces, or Buddhism with one can argue, the principles of loving kindness and Buddha as something to aspire to, all have our ideal in mind. I also think that therapy can be good, if it is not a crutch, and any religion or practice can be a crutch that prevents you from being brave, making choices, having Free Will or being you.

Rules and a parent-figure are important, and when tempered with growth, freedom and courage to grow. "To thine own self be true" is the greatest truth for me, as I wrote about in another post. "Pan metron ariston", as Socrates said, is key. Too much of anything is just too much and not arista, or excellence, Rule rigidity can turn into arrogance, as Father Frank Marangos commented last night. Too much thinking can turn into mental masturbation, as in trying really hard to figure things out and chasing one's tale, going nowhere. It can end up the same as too much hedonism or candy on the couch.

Michelle Obama this morning told Matt on the Today Show why Barak ate fattening food on the Super Bowl. She maintained, as I have on my fitness blog, it's about balance, not self-denial and suffering.

As Father Frank said, we are all sinners. The greatest and perhaps only real sin to me is not self-actualizing to be what-all you can be fore yourself and others, in a balance of selfish self and Loving self.

Multidimensional thinking is key. Ken Wilber's Integral Spirituality and Integral Psychology are must reads, but not as much as his 1995 Sex, Ecology, Spirituality: The Spirit of Evolution,[ 2nd rev. ed. 2001: ISBN 1-57062-744-4], where he describes the pitfalls in Western and Eastern philosophies, an all scientific views, and fully I as God or Thee as God views.

Check out this brilliant, simple yet deep song by Merle Haggard "I Am What I Am.". Bravo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhkVOSKI_TU

No comments:

Post a Comment