Friday, December 31, 2010

Short Review on Alvin Ailey City Center Performance December 30

The first Robert Battle piece Festa Barrocca was too simple for me. The dancers are capable of lots more in choreography. There were too many dahcers o the stage at once many times. I started to really like it when the women play-slapped the men. Couple sthen came out and did good routines.

There was a wonderful solo by a Samuel Lee Roberts. He spun rapidly and fell on his shoulder, or so it seemed, at least two times. I stood for him.

I was going to leave before Revelations. I have seen it enough times for now. But goig to get my coat, I heard the great film with Judith and Alvin. It seems he is still alive through the screen and dancers. I'd love to see Judith dance. I am sure she can!

The piece was clean and great, and I saw it newly as a confirmation of one's self and group's identity, resilience and commitment to triumph, while being good instead of weathered in life. The baptism starting anew religious context was great.

Bravo to Constance Stamatiou, headliner of Battle's piece, who is part Greek, and to the oldest member of the dance troupe, Renee Robinson, a prime dancer in Revelations. I will go ot the Playbill and add names soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment