Monday, May 3, 2010

Bargain Hunting at Jamaica Avenue, Jamaica, Queens

Why would I include a shopping post on this blog? There are several reasons:

1. It is a spiritual quality to accept where you are.
2. Saving pennies as well as spending on luxury while being grateful can both be spiritual experiences if you are present.
3. New experiences and new outfits can be acquired in a grateful, appreciative and loving context.

I live in Jamaica, Queens. Many people would not go there because it is not the best neighborhood. Yet again, it is not the worst. A house of one of the original signers of the Constitution, Rufus King Manor, is located on Jamaica Avenue and is a museum. Parson Boulevard, Jamaica Avenue and other streets have been around since the 1700s, as have some churches and cemeteries there. Old maps hang on the wall of the Rufus King Manor museum. There are many minorities there and some people may be scared to go shopping. Since the days of Giuliani, however, there is a decreased crime rate. A police precinct is nearby.

I am unemployed, at least at a steady job, right now. I did need some new spring and summer clothes. I chose to do some shopping on Sunday. After feeling badly about some past events almost all of Saturday, I was presently and gingerly in the moment while shopping on Sunday. I had a $1.00 "icy". I could not decide on the flavor so I took a mixture of cherry, coconut and blueberry. I enjoyed it and did not go in stores until I finished. It was hot, yet not muggy, and many people were probably at the park or beach, so it was not too crowded.

I wanted to go home and make an early movie, but I chose to keep my bags at a security check-in at one store, and keep walking. I found nothing more on one side of the street. The bus was not coming to come back out East, so I perused the stores. I found the sandals that I was looking for: black ones with few straps, not the usual ones stores have these days that have many straps and are often ankle-high, or have a strap between the toes -- not for me. I also found three tank tops in two shades of blue and black.

All in all, I spent about $100.00 and bought:

• three tank tops
• a cute black top I will wear many times
• two skirts
• two pairs of shorts
• two pairs of pants
• sandals

My job was done and I felt great. I wore my black top, leopard skin pants and new sandals on the subway. I had two ladies who had gone to a free jazz concert at the large Queens central library on Merrick Street ask about them. I showed them the receipt with the store address. They had not wanted to venture to Jamaica Avenue.

Now on to modeling since I can sell cheap sandals from Jamaica Avenue without even trying...

No comments:

Post a Comment