Sunday, March 28, 2010

Yoga Journal Article

I am floored by some articles in past Yoga Journals. They express what my intuition has known and are a wonderful integration of ideas.

Frank Jude Boccio, a teacher of Zen Buddhism and yoga, and the author of Mindufulness Yoga, wrote an article in the May 2010 issue 228 about unconditional love reached by cultivating four principles. Personally, I can be at a place to love everyone unconditionally, but it does not mean all can be in my life. I may want to declutter or deweed to have those closest that get who I am the most, are in line with my dreams and goals, and are those I can have good conversations with for now. It's an inquiry. Some things work at different times.

For our inquiry and trip to unconditional love, here are the four principles: brahmviharas or states of mind: 1. metta or lovingkindness, karuna or compassion, mudita or joy, and upekkha or equanimity.

I feel metta when I am in a good mood with those around me, as in the subway. I dot' feel it when I am in a snobby New York mood, I've been traveling all day, and I hear loud talk in different languages, or music I don’t like. LOL Compassion is easy for me usually. But ask yourself, if you smell a homeless person, are you compassionate? You can also be compassionate with yourself with your responses and intent to be loving, and trust yourself. Joy can be easy if you generate it. Maybe that will be another post. Equanimity may be the hardest if circumstances and others do not line up with what you want.

If you cultivate these qualities, you will react less to others, or, even in reacting, will stay centered.

Other great points: Metta is not gooey, but rather good-natured and kind-hearted. Karuna, with the same root as karma, is liked to relieving suffering or lightening sorrow. Upekkha allows us to deepen and extend the other three, "avoiding pitfalls such as compassion fatigue, emotional burnout, and stifling codependence."

If you appreciate yourself, it is easier to feel metta for others. Start with one thing you appreciate about yourself. "Fake it until you make it" is encouraged: Send out feelings of love for someone until you feel it. Okay, I'll try it...

Useful to recite:

May I be happy.
May I be peaceful.
May I be safe form harm.
May I enjoy happiness and the root of happiness.
May I experience ease and well-being in body, in mind, and spirit.

"Root" is interesting here, and perhaps refers to source or generate.

No comments:

Post a Comment